Help your organization become a Dementia-Friendly Leader in Northern Colorado.
Be among the first to help raise the standard of dementia care in Northern Colorado.
Training for senior professionals in long term care senior living communities, home care agencies, hospice and palliative care organizations committed to excellence in dementia care.
RAISING THE STANDARD of DEMENTIA CARE in NORTHERN COLORADO.
Why should you and your organization participate?
- People living with dementia in Northern Colorado deserve the highest quality of care
- Participation in this education demonstrates your commitment to excellence in dementia care even before the state regulations mandate more training.
- Our community is increasingly aware of the many options for dementia care and the necessity to choose only the organizations committed to extensive staff education to ensure well-being for loved ones living with dementia
- Investment in training staff leads to improved job satisfaction and reduction in staff turnover
- As a Dementia-Friendly Leader in Northern Colorado, you receive:recognition on the Dementia-Friendly Communities of Northern Colorado website
- recognition on the Dementia-Friendly Communities of Northern Colorado Facebook page annually upon renewal and maintenance of designation
- link from the dfcnoco.org website to your own
- window cling or desktop frame indicating organizational achievement as a “Dementia-Friendly Leader®” in Northern Colorado
- word of mouth recognition among support groups, memory cafés, medical clinics, case managers, community life enrichment, and educational groups as a participant in the effort to provide excellence in dementia care in our communities.
What we are doing to make the training simple and accessible:
- In COLLABORATION with the ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION, we are offering training sessions three times a year, two identical sessions in the morning and afternoon of the same day to accommodate staff scheduling. 2.5-3 hour sessions for a total of 8 hours/year of training.
WE ARE NOT CHARGING FOR THESE THREE CLASSES IN 2018 as listed below:
- *March 23, 2018 9am-noon and repeated 1:00-4:00 PM
- Timberline Church East Auditorium- Fort Collins
- Understanding Dementia--including the various causes: Alzheimer's Disease, Vascular Dementia, Dementia with Lewy Bodies (LBD and Parkinson’s Disease), Frontotemporal Dementia, and others
- Hallmark signs/symptoms
- Why person-centered/relationship-based care works
- Local, national, and international resources
- Opportunity to sign up for Virtual Dementia Tour
- *June 22, 2018 9 am-11:30 am and repeated 12:30-3 PM
- Poudre Valley Hospital-Cafe F- Fort Collins
- Effective Communication strategies to promote well-being
- Minimizing agitation/anxiety—alternatives to medications
- Connecting on an emotional and spiritual level
- *September 28, 2018 9am-11:30 am and repeated 12:30-3 PM
- Timberline Church East Auditorium- Fort Collins
- Meaningful Life/purposeful interactions/strategies for engagement
- Creating life-long well-being/ensuring purpose and dignity
- Music and Memory
- Balancing dignity of risk with optimization of safety: Exercise (falls), pain management, nutrition, relationships
*Exact content may vary slightly among classes and one or more sessions will include:
- Expert sharing his/her story of living with dementia
- Family member sharing his/her story of serving as care partner (family dynamics of dementia)
- Class participants sharing of challenging situations
What you need to do:
- CONTACT Cyndy or Katie to register (via email listed below) by March 16th.
- Arrange for all of your staff who work with people living with dementia to attend the 8 hours of educational sessions we offer annually in divided sessions to accommodate shift coverage.
- Your staff will complete evaluations which assess the outcomes of the training—how will the training translate into increased competence, confidence, and job satisfaction with dementia care?
- Keep track of your staff’s attendance.
- Submit the Dementia-Friendly Leader® application verifying staff participation in designated education.
- Periodically share stories with us related to the difference the training has made for your staff and clients. Our hope is that these stories will highlight the care you provide and inspire others to catch the vision for how commitment to equipping caregivers with necessary knowledge and skills provides increased joy and well-being for ALL involved in dementia care.
Starting January 2018 (for the 2018-2019 Dementia-Friendly Leader designation), if your organization invests in extensive dementia training of > 8 hours per year, 2.5 hours must include in-person education and participation with the classes we provide. (Dates for these classes TBA as we try to accommodate as best we can to meet the needs of those interested in this option.) We require 2.5 hours of in-person training with us because we believe that the value and perspective gained through the specific content we offer along with the opportunity for interaction among senior professional colleagues and experts living with dementia during our training sessions, sets your organization apart as a leader in providing excellence in dementia care. Any supplemental education that your staff participates in outside of the courses we offer to meet the 8 hours per year educational requirement,
1.) must include the required content listed on our application form
2.) must emphasize person-centered/ relationship-based care approaches
3.) must be provided using an accredited training program of structured formalized classes or competency based computer courses
4.) must be taught by a recognized academic institution, state, or nationally recognized dementia-education organization, certified dementia practitioner, or geriatric nurse practitioner.
5.) must be submitted to the Dementia-Friendly Communities of Northern Colorado Advisory board for review and approval.
Details related to Dementia-Friendly Leader® designation and re-designation with annual 8 hour training for 2019 and beyond are currently being determined. Our standard will continue to reflect the goal of excellence in dementia care. We seek to ensure that we offer meaningful content that engages staff and translates into optimized well-being for the clients and residents you serve. If the goals of your organization align with this purpose, then we look forward to assisting you in achieving them through our Dementia-Friendly Leader® course.
Thank you for partnering with us to provide excellence in dementia care in Northern Colorado.
Register by March 16th, 2018.